Birmingham, Alabama- A Southern City with an Impressive Sports Resume
When it comes to hosting well-recognized sporting events, Birmingham has a notable history. From Southeastern Conference Championships to international marathons and PGA events, the Birmingham area is equipped to play professional host to all these and more.
The city has hosted the U.S. Women’s Open at Shoal Creek Golf Club. This premiere event in women’s professional golf included an international field from around the world.
Every spring, Birmingham hosts the Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama, the only Indy event in the Deep South. It takes place at Barber Motorsports Park, one of the most envied track facilities in the world. The nearby Talladega Superspeedway is considered one of NASCAR’s most competitive tracks and hosts racing series events in the spring and fall.
The Regions Tradition draws senior PGA players from around the country to compete at the handsome Greystone Golf and Country Club. Birmingham also is set to host the World Games in July 2022 with 4,500 athletes from 110 countries competing over an 11-day period.
The Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex plays a significant role in Birmingham’s sports resume, hosting everything from NCAA basketball to international tennis. The BJCC has constructed Protective Stadium, a beautiful 55,000-seat open air stadium.
Birmingham also is home to Lakeshore, an official United States Olympic Committee Olympic and Paralympic Training site, hosting national team training camps and international competitions.
Other pertinent points of Birmingham’s sports resume include:
- National Senior Games– 2017
- Bassmaster Classic– 2020
- NCAA Division I Indoor Track & Field Championships– 2019
- Southeastern Conference Baseball Championship– 22 years and running
- Magic City Classic – 77 years and running (This is the most heavily attended Historically Black College & University classic in the country.)
- Jared Birmingham Bowl– 13 years and running
- Alabama High School Athletic Association Championships– Basketball, Bowling, and Indoor Track & Field