Birmingham, Alabama- A Southern City with an Impressive Sports Resume
When it comes to hosting well-recognized sporting events, Birmingham has a notable history. From Southeastern Conference Championships to international marathons and PGA events, the Birmingham area is equipped to play professional host to all these and more.
The city has hosted the U.S. Women’s Open at Shoal Creek Golf Club. This premiere event in women’s professional golf included an international field from around the world.
Every spring, Birmingham hosts the Children’s of Alabama Indy Grand Prix of Alabama, the only Indy event in the Deep South. It takes place at Barber Motorsports Park, one of the most envied track facilities in the world. The nearby Talladega Superspeedway is considered one of NASCAR’s most competitive tracks and hosts racing series events in the spring and fall.
The Regions Tradition draws Tour Champions PGA players from around the country to compete at the handsome Greystone Golf and Country Club.
The Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex plays a significant role in Birmingham’s sports resume, hosting everything from NCAA basketball to international tennis. The BJCC has constructed Protective Stadium, a beautiful 45,000-seat open air stadium. The newly renovated Legacy Arena, a 19,000 seat, live entertainment venue, is also located within the Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex (BJCC).
The Birmingham Crossplex and Hoover Met Complex/Finley Center are in continuous use for a multitude of sports and activities.
Birmingham also is home to the Lakeshore Foundation, an official United States Olympic and Paralympic Committee Training site, hosting national team training camps and international competitions.
Other pertinent points of Birmingham’s sports resume include:
- National Senior Games– 2017
- Bassmaster Classic– Hosted in Birmingham 14 times with the last one held in March 2020.
- Multiple NCAA Division I, II and III Championships
- Southeastern Conference Baseball Championship– Since 1998 at the Hoover Met Stadium.
- Magic City Classic – Since 1994 (This is the highest attended Historically Black College & University classic in the country.)
- TicketSmarter Birmingham Bowl– Played annually since 2006, the game is an ESPN owned and operated matchup between the SEC and ACC Conferences.
- Alabama High School Athletic Association Championships– Basketball, football, bowling, indoor track & field, Esports and volleyball.
- The 2022 World Games– An 11 day international, multi-sport event with the support of the International Olympic Committee. Over 110 countries with 3,600 athletes competed in more than 30 of the fastest growing sports in the world.
- 2025 World Police and Fire Games– 8,500+ competitors from 70+ countries competing in 60+ sports over 10 days.